Bell Pepper and Vidalia Onion Strata with Fresh Salsa Recipe
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 Vidalia onion, divided
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced vertically
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced vertically
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup fat-free (skim) milk
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4-6 slices whole-grain bread, dry or toasted, cubed
- ½ cup reduced-fat Italian blend cheese
- 10-11 cherry tomatoes or 2 small tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about ¼ of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
- Spray 8” or 9” baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 ºF.
- While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.