Spanish Empanada Recipe
Serves: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 stuffed pita half, ¼ C Tangy Salsa
Fat: 4 g
- 2 (6½-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 1 C Tangy Salsa
- For filling:
- 2 C canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 C frozen broccoli, corn, and pepper vegetable mix, thawed (Leftover Friendly)
- 2 C grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 4 small breasts)
- ½ C shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 2 Tbsp scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped (or substitute red onions)
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Combine beans, vegetables, chicken, cheese, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half, and open the pockets. Divide filling evenly between the four halves (about 1½ cups each).
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling is hot, cheese melts, and chicken is reheated.
- Serve each Spanish Empanada with ¼ cup of Tangy Salsa.