Oatmeal Pecan Waffles Recipe
Serves: 4 servings
Serving size: 3 small (2-inch) or 1 large (6-inch) waffle (depending on waffle iron size)
Fat: 11 g
- For waffles:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted pecans, chopped
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 11/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For fruit topping:
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- All berries may be substituted with frozen, thawed
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, and pecans in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl, and mix well.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir together. Do not overmix; mixture should be a bit lumpy.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron, and cook until the waffle iron light signals it’s done or steam stops coming out of the iron. A waffle is perfect when it is crisp and well-browned on the outside with a moist, light, airy and fluffy inside. (Or make pancakes.)
- Add fresh fruit and a light dusting of powdered sugar to each waffle, and serve.