Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken Recipe
Serves: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 skewers
Fat: 2 g
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes (24 cubes) (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 C fresh pineapple, diced (24 pieces) (or canned pineapple chunks in juice)
- 8 6-inch wooden skewers
- For sauce:
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- Preheat a broiler or grill on medium-high heat.
- Thread three chicken cubes and three pineapple chunks alternately on each skewer.
- Combine ingredients for sauce and mix well; separate into two bowls and set one aside for later.
- Grill skewers for 3–5 minutes on each side. Brush or spoon sauce (from the bowl that wasn’t set aside) onto chicken and pineapple about every other minute. Discard the sauce
- when done with this step.
- To prevent chicken from drying out, finish cooking skewers in a 350 ºF oven immediately after grilling (to a minimum
- internal temperature of 165 °F). Using a clean brush or spoon, coat with sauce from the set-aside bowl before serving.
Note: Skewers have sharp edges, so monitor younger children while eating, or take the chicken off the skewers for them.
Children can help mix the sauce and thread the chicken and pineapple on the skewers.