Fricassee Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
Serves: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken leg, 1 C vegetables and sauce
Fat: 9 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carton (10 oz) white button mushrooms, rinsed and quartered
- 1 C leeks, split into quarters, then sliced into small squares and rinsed well
- 1 C potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 C celery, rinsed and diced
- 1 C pearl onions, raw or frozen
- 3 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb skinless chicken legs or thighs (4 whole legs, split, or 8 thighs)
- 2 Tbsp each fresh herbs (such as parsley and chives), rinsed, dried, and minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized heavy-bottom roasting or braising pan (a large sauté pan with a metal handle will work as well).
- Add mushrooms to pan, and cook until golden brown, about 3–5 minutes. Add leeks, potatoes, celery, and pearl onions, and continue to cook until the vegetables become soft, about 3–5 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the pan, and bring to a boil. Add chicken legs to the pan, cover, and place in the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the chicken legs are tender when pierced with a fork (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- When chicken legs are tender, remove legs from the pan, return the pan to the stovetop, and bring the liquid to a boil. Add herbs and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with the sour cream, and add to the pan. Bring back to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, and pour 1 cup of vegetables and sauce over chicken.