Chayote Salad with Lemony Hot Sauce Recipe
Serves: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 2 g
- 2 malagueta peppers, drained and finely chopped*
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 11/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 small chayote squash or yellow summer squash, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the malagueta peppers in a food processor or blender and process them until the mixture is a thick paste.
- Gradually add half of the chopped onion and garlic and continue to process, scraping the sides of the container to blend all ingredients into the paste. Add the lemon juice and process again to mix.
- Transfer the sauce to a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining onion and minced garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, add the chayote or summer squash, and continue to sauté, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red and green peppers and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. Add the black pepper and remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the sautéed vegetables in the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, arrange the vegetables on a large platter and drizzle with a small amount of sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped tomato for added color. Add black pepper as desired.